Monday, March 20, 2006

Friendships Are for Now

I miss my friends. No, not the ‘I’ll-call-you-once-in-a-while’ kind of friends, I have quite a few of those, but the long lasting friendships that are further cemented by each milestone accomplished in life. I have met a lot of people in this town, but I have yet to feel really close to anyone. It seems as if most of the people I have met have a thick shield that guards them from showing their true selves… and I wear my heart on my sleeve. Not that I expect the same, but for some reason, I just never feel people are very genuine. Maybe it’s me. I’m certainly not going to proclaim that I am perfect. Maybe it’s a cultural thing, but given that I am as American as it gets, that’s very unlikely. Maybe it is the fact that I didn’t grow up here, and neither did many of the people I’ve met, so there is no real feeling of belonging, nor a true sense of permanence. Whatever it is, I long for the same kind of friendships I still keep with some of the people whose life I was a part of back home and in Philadelphia.

I worry for my children. I certainly would love for them to have the ability to have great, long-lasting friendships that will last a lifetime. But, as I look around and see just how self-absorbed and dismissive most people are, and how children’s focus is being turned from finding value in themselves to finding worth in the material things they posses, I just can’t help but wonder if the world’s meaning of the word ‘friendship’ is changing and I have just lagged behind. I think there’s been a real shift from what used to be the concept of true friendship: a life sibling of one’s choosing; to shallow relationships lacking a solid base or true connections. It’s the difference between mom’s home made chicken soup and the canned variety: I can still eat the canned soup, but it’s just not as good for the soul.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

It is hard to really reach out and make those kind of friendships when you are so busy with kids, husbands, households, and careers. I have two friends that I have known forever (11yrs and 8yrs) that I can depend on for anything, and they can depend on me for anything. We will be friends forever, I am quite sure of it. Then I have my sisters, which will always be the two closest people to me other than my husband and children. All of those friendships and relationships were developed long ago, when I had the brain-capacity and time to really get-to-know someone.

Besides, you may wear your heart on your sleeve, but are you really spending the time and energy on developing a new friendship right now, or are you truly focusing on your family? Count your blessings that you have friends around you, people that will make you laugh and will be there when you need to cry. They may not be your soulmates, but they do count.

6:17 PM  
Blogger Lyllia said...

I do love my friends, even those who are not life-long friends. They are a source of great happiness for me. This was really clear after my first marriage ended and I uncovered that the reason why so many stayed away was because of my sour-puss ex. So, now that I am married to such a wonderful man, the bonds have deepened. However, I do miss the ones that I have left behind as I moved from place to place, some of which I have known since middle school. I keep in touch with most of them, but the dynamics do change when there are thousands of miles between the two of you. Now that we all have kids, careers, and husbands, I wish we were all closer to share this part of our lives.

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home